Thursday, August 30, 2007

"I think voting system should be 50% public votes and 50% judges' choice." -- Meiyang Chang


Meiyang Chang has been every girl's favorite contestant, whether it is Mini or Alisha or the screaming teenagers sitting among the audiences. His good looks, coupled with a great voice and distinct style of presentation makes him irresistible as a contestant. His elimination was a rude shock for everyone, including himself.

Q. Are you angry that the public has voted you out despite your good performance?

Ans: I am not angry. I can't be angry with public, as there was a time when I was not singing well. At that time even I got ahead due to public votes. That's why I never said anything against public voting.
I can't blame anybody as the public has the right to choose whom they want to. At the same time, I feel it could have been a 50/50 voting system. 50% public voting and 50% judges' choice. But if that that was the rule then I wouldn't have been here today. Probably from the next time, they can consider this. It will help those who have worked hard to be better singers through the show.

Q. Your last performance was better than Emon's; do you think he should have gone instead of you?

Ans: If Emon had gone, then it would have been a total flop show. Emon is superb and he has to be in the finals. Honestly, Ankita should have gone. She was pitted against Puja, and she is till there. She was pitted against Deepali, and she is still here. Puja and Deepali are definitely better singers than her.

Q. So do you think Ankita should have gone, not you?

Ans: Maybe, maybe. Nobody is bad, somebody is good and somebody is a little weaker then that…. if you consider a person's voice, how good he is with music etc. I don't think I am that good. I am confident but I never put myself against some of the trained singers. At this stage, I am not that great. If I have to rate then I'll rate Prashant, Ankita and me at the same level. Each one of us has our strong points and our weak points. Maybe I should've gone ahead, but never mind.
I guess Ankita has something that others don't…. and public has voted her for her strong points. I wish her all the best!

Q. Do you think performance is more important or singing?

Ans: I'll give it an 80:20 ratio. 80 for singing and 20 for performance. In the audio-visual medium performance enhances the entire experience but it can never be at the cost of singing. You can't go off tune and perform well after that.

Q. Has Indian Idol changed your focus in life?

You are a dentist, now you seem to have transformed into a full-time singer. Ans: Yes, I've found my true calling, and at present I want to really work hard with my singing. I want to get good training and emerge. It's not that now that I got voted out, so I want to prove something to someone. It`s just that now people have noticed me now. They like my voice so I want to make the most of this opportunity and grab the best of offers that I get.

Q. What is your future plan? Do you want to do playback?

Ans: I want to learn music from a good trainer. At the same time, i want to go and meet the music directors & struggle to make my place in the industry. Playback singing is very competitive. Before plunging into it, I want to improvise myself. Perhaps cut an album of mine and then I'll definitely be ready. But if someone calls me in the meantime with some offers then I'll definitely grab the opportunity. I just want to become better and better and better.
Q. Do you want to continue with your dentist practice?

Ans: At this point of time, it will take a backseat. My focus right now is to be related to the industry. I don't know how but I've to figure it out. I want to come back with a bang! I want to see what opportunities I will get out here. For instance, Suhit has done an ad for Kit Kat. People are getting breaks because of Indian Idol. I want to see if something good is waiting for me too.

Q. Alisha looks heartbroken that you're out. Will you miss her too?

Ans: Alisha madam has always praised me a lot. She is an amazingly sweet person. She even walked out of the stage when they declared I was out but I didn't want her to take such a drastic step. I was glad when she came back and gave me this cap as a memento. I will keep it as a precious gift for the rest of my life.

Q. Do you think they're being honest with their judgement?

Ans: With me, I've always felt that they have been honest. In fact, I can make out from their reactions only, if they like my song or not. If they like it, they praise openly, if they don't, then they don't want to break their heart. So they'll just say they're happy. By that only you can gage, what they're feeling. I am pretty happy with their response.

Q. Any message to the public?

Ans: Thank you very much for bringing me till here. There are just 4 people left now, so please vote sensibly and do not forget me. Please remember me till I come back as an even better singer.

8 comments:

Str8Talk said...

Chang must understand the relaity shows are doen for the public and public has the right to choose their idol. The judges are there only to montor and guide the process. So the talk about 50:50 split for decision between judges and public is doesnot hold ground where you are in the galas.
As for saying indian idol is all about singing, i would not agree, it is about confidence, performance, singing, personality and en dof the day is about represeting the very nature of india in its 61st year. So i again beg to differ from Chang on the issue that indian idol should be predominantly a singer, if that was the case he should have opted for Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Challenge, which has any day better singers than Indian Idol and is a a show looking out only for singing talents.
Comming to the issue of Ankita, lets face this Prashanth, Chang, Ankita and Deepali have all given bad performances, there were instances Chang could have got out earlier in the galas whn he was not singing well, and the same holds good for others, but the janta who vote on whom all the reality shows are based are not stupid, so please stop blamming others for your exit. Be happy that indian idol platform made you what you are here now else you would have been one of us in the public. Respect the confidence put in you my public and act with responsibility rather than pointing fingers at Ankita or others.
Also Sony, should see to it their judges are not biased towards any participant, Alisha's antics are unbecommign of a judge. If she favours one immediately it means she is baised against others.
Dont forget end of the day, it is amm janta which makes stars and alo puts them down. So please try to act with responsibility. Laurels would be bestowed on those who are unassuming and dont put up their price.
All the best Chang for future, also get over the indian idol phase and build a career now that a platform is given to you.

Dip said...

ya chang u will be come back with a bang.

and how can Janta decide who is best coz some of them even dont have little bit knowledge of music.

Best of Luck and like alisha ur my indian idol.

Unknown said...

well,chang we are really missing u lot.and about 50% voting then it will be really worth it bcoz that way any gud singer can be saved but the same time judges partiality can increase.so it has both aspects.u were nice singer indeed n hope to c u soon with a bang.and in case of performance,then its not at all important in an singing contest.

Ashita said...

I am gonna miss you alot chang. xx but you are my indian idol forever. and you are my favourite contestant from all the seasons and always will be .xxx. mwah .x

ishita said...

Iwant to say you Chang that you were one of the best indian idol ever.I never thought that you could sing so beautifully.I was truly sad when I heard that you were out. NOW A YOU ARE OUT I WILL NEVER SEE INDIAN IDOL AGAIN .BUT ALL THE BEST FOR YOUR FUTURE PLANS

Anonymous said...

Hi chang , i will not 4gt u and i pary to god tht ur dream comes true...Till thn have patience and work hard,,,bye, Monika

Unknown said...

CHANG FROM THE AUDITION TO UR ELIMINATION U WERE MY FAVOURITE CHANG ! EVEN NOW U R MY FAVORITE ! WE WILL MISS U CHANG !I AM PRAYING 4 UR DREAMS 2 CUM TRUE ! U WILL DEFINTLY BECOME A NICE SINGER CHANG ! BEST OF LUCK -LOVE U

Unknown said...

LIKE ALISHA MADAM SAID U R HER INDIAN IDOL,SAME WAY U R MY INDIAN IDOL TOO!!!!